Taking green packaging solutions to a new level.
- Cable waste is sorted and removed from metals.
- The recycled plastic material from the cable waste is transported to Axjo for further processing.
- The material is ground and dried.
- In the mixing process, a polymer matrix composite, a filler used to adapt the volume of the product, as well as additives such as a colouring agent, UV protection agent, etc.
- In the compounding process, the materials are ground together and any contaminants, moisture or residue in the recycled material are removed.
- The result is a finished granulate ready for injection-moulding of new drums.
The Greenology Concept contains many different parts. One of the most important is to help our customers reduce their carbon footprint. One of the initiatives has been to work with leading manufacturers and research institutes to develop a method for utilizing production wastes from power cable production in XLPE.
XLPE is PE (Polyethylene) which is cross linked with additive for improved properties. This results in scrap that is very difficult to use in a recycling stream. Together with NKT, Borealis and Swerea IVF, Axjo has succeeded in the entire value chain. Effective recycling at NKT’s recycling plant together with an elaborate method in Axjo’s mixing and compounding process in Gislaved have yielded a successful result. Products are now being developed with a significant content of PEX as impact modifier. The innovative products have been on the market for over a year and both cable manufacturers and end users have been very satisfied with the result. The reuse of 1,000 kg XLPE provides a saving of 2,000 kg CO2 which helps our customers become more sustainable as well as make economic profit as the waste does not need to be deposited or incinerated.